Thursday, January 28, 2016

Magic Critic (gentle musings)

Are there magicians' critics, like there are for music, film, or food? Is there a fat, insecure man somewhere watching night after night of Penn and Teller shows looking for things to pick apart? To praise?

While not a regular spectator of magic illusions and such, I can't speak on such things. I do love film and music, though taking very different approaches to each.

With film, I tend to observe it through an analytical eye, making judgments about the various decisions made by the artists. I'll re-watch a film over and over trying to soak up anything I can about it. I'll watch interviews with the filmmakers. I'll try to deconstruct it. I enjoy reading challenging film criticism.

With music though, I tend to experience it the way most of us would a magic show. The way you can't believe your eyes at a David Blaine illusion. I can't believe my ears, when I hear music. The better the music, the more unbelievable it seems to me.

I'm sure most critics worth their salt could explain it with theory, and session dudes might say it's some combination of skill and a discipline for repetition that some posses and some don't.

Look, I'm just a simple caveman. Your world confuses and frightens me. All I know is music has a ineffable power over me. Inspired me to write this. I am high, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment